Since reopening in June 2020, we have been asked repeatedly:
- Is massage therapy an essential service in Ontario?
- Is it okay to get a massage during the lockdown?
The answer is yes. Registered Massage Therapists (RMTs) in Ontario are Regulated Health Professionals and therefore not affected by the current lockdown which went into effect on April 8th and will last until May 20th. This current stay-at-home order requires residents to remain at home, with exceptions for essential purposes, such as going to the grocery store or pharmacy, accessing healthcare services, for exercise or for essential work.
Massage clinics are permitted to continue providing healthcare services as long as they follow strict government and Ministry of Health measures:
- mandatory face masks
- rigorous daily cleaning and sanitization of common areas and treatment rooms
- all linens, blankets and pillows changed and cleaned after each appointment
- daily COVID screening and temperature checks for all staff
- COVID screening and temperature checks for clients before each appointment
- a contact-free transaction process with touchless payment and digital forms
- seating in waiting area arranged to allow physical distancing